The Kenya Electricity Transmission Company Limited (KETRACO) commits to providing a safe and healthy work environment for employees, contractors, suppliers and visitors, not just as a moral and legal responsibility, but also as a prerequisite for it to achieve its primary mission of operating an efficient, effective, reliable and safe national electricity transmission grid. This commitment also extends to ensuring that the company’s operations do not place the public at risk of injury, illness or damage to their property.
The company shall ensure compliance with the Occupational Safety and Health Act, 2007 and all regulations made under it by:
- Providing and maintaining installations, systems and procedures of work that are safe;
- Providing information, instruction, training and supervision to ensure the safety and health at work of every employee;
- Consulting and cooperating with the safety and health committee in ensuring safety and health at work;
- Providing and maintaining personal protective equipment and other safety equipment and ensuring that they are used when required;
- Ensuring that all statutory legislations relating to safe driving and the use of vehicles are complied with;
- Ensuring that best practices in relation to driving standards, journey planning, rest breaks, and restrictions on the use of mobile communication devices such as mobile phones are promoted;
- Providing leadership and resources necessary to implement this policy;
- Setting and monitoring safety and health objectives in order to improve employee safety and health and
- Continuously reviewing and improving the organization’s safety and health performance.
While the company will do it’s very best to ensure safety and health at work, employees and all other persons associated with the company must fulfil their own obligations under the law to protect their own safety and health and that of others around them.
The Managing Director considers the promotion and maintenance of high safety and health standards as one of the most important duties of his office and will ensure that appropriate resources, including human and financial, are committed towards implementing the policy across all company operations and communicating the same to all employees and stakeholders. The Board of Directors and Management Team are committed to taking all reasonably practicable measures to ensure the effective implementation of this policy. Occupational safety and health management will be pursued in the same manner and with the same vigor as other managerial objectives.