KETRACO Participates in Energy Day
[ All Latest News ]
In order to provide affordable electricity to meet the rising national demand created by activities which are expected to sharply transform our economy, the Ministry of Energy and Petroleum is planning to implement a roadmap to raise the electricity generation capacity by 5,000MW from the current 1664.1MW. This ambitious programme was the topic of discussion at Kenyatta International Conference Centre (KICC) on the 9th of September during Energy Day. The theme of the day was ‘5,000+ Megawatts for transforming Kenya”.
KETRACO’s role in this plan is the evacuation and transmission of the 5,000MW generated power. During the company’s presentation, it was revealed that KETRACO plans to add 7 key lines to the National Grid that will provide reliable, sufficient and competitive energy. These lines are:
• 220kV double circuit Menengai-Lanet line that will evacuate 90MW of Menengai geothermal power,
• 400kV double circuit Menengai-Rongai line that will evacuate 400MW from Menengai,
• 400kV double circuit Silali-Rongai line that will evacuate 200MW of Silali geothermal power,
• 400kV double circuit Dogo Kundu – Mariakani line that will evacuate 700MW of Liquefied Natural Gas power,
• 400kV double circuit Kilifi-Mariakani line that will evacuate 960MW of coal power,
• 400kV double circuit Mariakani-Kitui-Nairobi East line that will evacuate 960MW Kitui Coal power, and
• 400kV double circuit Isinya-Nairobi East line.
KETRACO got the chance to engage with the Vision 2030 steering committee representative, Independent Power Producers, funding organisations, suppliers, contractors, consultants and others interested in the company’s projects.